B2B Customer Experience Management
The Annual ClearAction Business-to-Business Customer Experience Management Benchmarking Study monitors the implementation of best practices in customer-focused management for sustainable high profitability. This is a study of the journey to world-class performance in how business-to-business firms (1) listen to customers, (2) view customers, (3) center employees on customers, and (4) center business on customers. It explores the motivations behind customer experience management (CEM) and its linkages to corporate goals, strategy, culture, processes, and business results.
Trends: Success factors to world-class customer experience management appear to be:
- Profit as one of the top three motivations for CEM.
- CEM as a determinant of corporate strategy.
- Coordination among managers of CEM methods.
- Presentation of survey results to all employees.
- Action on survey results by owners of CX key drivers.
- Calculation of customer lifetime value (CLV).
- Funding of cross-organizational collaboration.
Obstacles: Budget restrictions (59%) and low employee morale (49%) are the greatest obstacles to the success of customer experience management. Limited bandwidth (43%) is also a key obstacle. Top management plays a direct role in most of the obstacles to CEM success, including weak CEM know-how among executives (44%), lack of strategy for CEM (36%), lack of executive sponsorship (30%), weak follow-through on strategy for CEM (25%), and unclear corporate goals (23%).
Recommendations: Recommendations for stronger customer experience strategy, cross-organizational cooperation, and business results are provided in the study.
Participants:Business-to-business customer experience practitioners responded to an online survey from May through July 2011. Industries represented include computer software, industrial automation, utilities, energy, textiles, mining, oil, semiconductors, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, telecommunications, research, plastics, machinery, facilities, real estate, engineering services, computer hardware and chemicals.
Respondents' companies are headquartered in North America (64%), Europe (29%), Asia, and the Middle East. Half of the participants represent companies with less than 5,000 employees; 30% of the companies have 5,000-49,000 employees; and a fifth of participating firms have more than 50,000 employees.
Job titles of participants include Vice President of Customer Experience, Vice President of Customer Operations, Vice President of Customer Care & Support, Customer Engagement Champion, Director of Client Experience & Loyalty Development, Director of Customer Care, Director of Client Experience & Voice of the Customer, Director of Strategic Accounts, Director of Sales, CRM Department Leader, Manager of Business Excellence Deployment, Customer Experience Program Management, Project Manager, and Group Manager.
This study was sponsored by ClearAction and The Insight Advantage. The third annual B2B CEM study is scheduled for publication in mid-2012.
Sponsor: The Insight Advantage
The Insight Advantage is a full-service research firm, providing a wide range of services (web surveys, focus groups, telephone interviews) to help companies implement customer research for ongoing insight into their customers' evolving needs and expectations. Jennifer Berkley Jackson, head of The Insight Advantage, is an extension faculty member of University of California - Santa Cruz.
ClearAction is a customer experience optimization consulting firm that guides company-wide action on a clear view of customer intelligence. Customer experience optimization goes beyond the revenue-focus of customer experience management, to grow both revenue and profit naturally through company-wide alignment with buyer priorities.
ClearAction's depth of practitioner experience since 1989:
- Inspires employees to take the customer perspective — know your customers' world better than your competitors do.
- Instills customer-focused decision-making as a habit among all employees — motivate customer experience optimization as a way of life.
- Engages employees to resolve and prevent customers' issues — collaborate cross-organizationally for company-wide customer experience excellence.
- Increasing Customer Focus in Voice of the Customer for Business Results
- Focusing on People in B2B Customer Experience Strategy
- Investment Patterns in B2B Customer Experience Management
- Business Customer Experience Management Stories Highlighted in 3rd Annual B2B CEM Study
- 6 Factors Identified for B2B Customer Experience Excellence
- Payoff for Coordinating Customer Experience Management Worldwide
- Big Gains by Presenting Voice of the Customer to All Employees
- ROI Opportunities for B2B Customer Experience Management
- 8 Paths to Value via Benchmarking Studies
Table of Contents
1) Motivation for CEM
- Top 3 Motivations for CEM
- Greatest CEM Achievements
- Top 5 Methods for CEM
- Greatest Obstacles to CEM Success
- Role of CEM in Corporate Strategy
- Role of CEM in Day-to-Day Business
- Level & Function of Person Driving CEM
- What Would Help Us Reach CEM Goals
- Our Practice of Customer Voice Activities
- Reasons to Monitor Perceptions
- Ways We Monitor Customer Perceptions
- How Often We Collect Survey Data
- Who Manages Customer Survey Data
- Our Practice of Customer View Activities
- Who Receives Customer Survey Data
- Groups that Act on Customer Survey Data
- Focus of Customer Survey Analysis
- Methods for Making Survey Data Available
- Our Practice of Employee Customer-Centricity Activities
- Employee-Related Tools for CEM
- Funding Employee Engagement in CEM
- Our Practice of Organizational Customer-Centricity Activities
- Organization-Related Tools for CEM
- Funding Customer Engagement in CEM
- Customer Well-Being
- Customer Knowledge
- Customer Profitability
8) Related Articles
- 10 Characteristics of Customer Experience Management
- Customer Care ... CRM ... Customer Experience: What's the Difference?
List Price $395 Now $125
Download the 2010 and 2011 reports together with 20% discount code = 2studies
Launch Press Release:
B2B CEM Benchmarking Study
Results Press Release:
2011 B2B CEM Best Practices
Please let others know about this study by sharing this link via email with your colleagues and on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook: http://ClearAction.biz/benchmark
Please "like" this study on the ClearAction LinkedIn page and add your comments — thanks!